Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Paradise Continued

I thought about naming this latest post "Paradise Found", but (i) I am no where near there literally or figuratively and (ii) thought it was a tad cliched. So, I've had a number of folks read my original post on the Pirates in Paradise event, and asked if I would be writing any additions. I'd thought about it, and have decided I will note some extra moments I still remember that didn't make it into the first post, such as:

- I appreciate the fact that given I'm new to the art of reenactment and historical interpretation, folks were kind enough to answer my questions, no matter how silly or tough they were. That, and I'm happy to have learned what makes the proper kit for a man or woman, without having the one I was wearing scrutinized. (Yeah, I know mine wasn't PC, but I'm glad to know I'm heading in the right direction.) Everyone will have something to add to their look that makes it their own, and figuring that out for myself so far has been a bit of an adventure, but fun.

- I thought it was hilarious that the beach was utilized for a few weddings over the course of PiP (it is a nuptial hotspot). Nothing says "perfect wedding photo" like the bride and groom with a couple of swashbuckling buccaneers and wenches. What struck many as humorous later was hearing that one day a mother in law requested to have the encampment moved to make way for her daughter's wedding. Sure we can do that, and you get to help ma'am! *grins*

- The passing of rum, and beer, and other libations (mmm...apple pie), along with the occasional snack food...that sort of sharing was just really cool. That seems to be a typical action if you happen to hang out with a group at reenactments. This has me excited to bring food and drink for future events, as in figuring out what fits the time period, or coming up with a great drink of my own to pass around.

- I was floored by Fort Taylor. I mean really, really floored. Growing up, I didn't see much in the way of monuments, let alone any forts. In Colorado there are a lot of old mining towns, abandoned settlements and 19th century pioneer interpretation. Those were great and I learned alot about the state and its history, but to see structures and surroundings that have been around since America's inception that have been preserved through various means is just friggin cool. I mean, you can smell and feel the history there...it's like taking a trip back through time. That and the nature that surrounds it is wonderful. I guess after several years of concrete jungle, I needed the trees, waves crashing on the beach and the sound of wind whistling across the battle field (pre kaBOOM).
Fort Taylor picture taken by Mission

- Once I arrived to the encampment and began talking to people, I learned about those darned roosters and chickens. If you've been to Key West, you've likely seen them cross the street unscathed. These critters are protected down there. Really. If you harm one, you'll get a ticket. My question is, what if one decides to commit suicide with a kamikaze flight into your grill? What then? (Yes, I do appreciate animals, but thought this was rather funny.)
Rooster picture taken by Silas Thatcher

- I enjoyed taking pictures at the event, and am glad there were so many others in the same boat. Capturing these moments and passing them on to others online not only immortalizes PiP, it provides one of many different interpretations of what went on, or fills people in on what they missed.

- This event reinvigorated my interest in local travel. When I first came to FL in the 80's as a visitor, I went to several areas of Central Florida including the east coast, and visited the same areas in later trips. Since moving here five years back, I haven't travelled around the state much due to work and my degree. Now that school is behind me and I have the new job under control, I've more time to venture out and see what the state has to offer. In terms of interest, PiP and events like it are right up my alley. Give me the chance to learn, sightsee and enjoy the outdoors and historical places, and I could do this until I'm old and grey. :)

If I can think of more recollections or some such, I'll add them to this list as they come to mind.

2/12/2009: The Mercury's "somewhat trusted" surgeon-barbour Mission has finished his own account of Pirates in Paradise. It includes a plethora of pictures, a daily recap of events (spanning several pages each), and easter eggs. With the eggs, just mouse over some of the pics on each page, and I'm sure you'll find them. If you guess the movie quote hiding in there, I'll send you a tankard.

Pirates in Paradise - A Surgeon's Tale