Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

It's hard to believe I've been in my new job for nearly six weeks now. But here I am! Picking up work here and there, and immensely enjoying the training I've had so far. I have the nicest boss ever, and some pretty extraordinary coworkers too. I do feel like I'm in some sort of alternate universe where things have slowed just a bit, and priorities are different, but in ways they haven't changed at all (waves to the old coworkers).

To recap experiences as of late, I had a business trip out to Chicago to take up knowledge on a tool that was new to me. Thankfully we had a knowledgable and entertaining instructor (thanks Art!). He made it easy for the class to understand and kept us awake with questions and plenty of exercises with the tool. He even threw in a few stories on the side (meeting a famous, often ridiculed ballplayer and finding out he was a nice guy for one...I'll have to remember that one for a later post). He also pointed out one day that the "Public Enemy" remake starring Johnny Depp was being filmed a few blocks away. (Note: Couldn't find it, despite helpful locals pointing us in various directions.)

Had a great conversation with a guy up there that was selling THE Indy Car from Raiders. Didn't get a chance to see it in person which I regret, but it was nice talking to him and hearing its history since the movie. I hope it gets in good hands *cough*museum or archives*cough* and he gets compensated well for it.

My last evening in Chi-Town had to be the best. Class ended, and I made my way out of our building (next to the soon-to-be-finished Trump Tower) and headed at least seven to ten blocks south, and one or two blocks east to the Art Institute of Chicago. I had to see this place as I am a lover of the Arts, and was floored when I walked in to see Thursday and Friday evening patrons got in for free for part of the summer. A few of the wings were closed, so I didn't get to take a look at a second (of many) Van Gogh self portrait. But I did get to see tons of French Impressionism (my favorite), the painting seen in Ferris Bueller as well as many other works of art in various textiles, shapes and sizes (and bought a few in print form). I'm hoping to get just a few of my pictures into Flickr or somewhere where folks can see them. They were all so beautiful.

Unfortunately after an hour and a half at the museum my feet grew cranky, so I knew I had to turn back and make the long walk back north and slightly west to my hotel (got a HUGE room - big surprise for me). I walked across the street and out of museum goer traffic, prepared to head to the Chilis down the street from my home away from home when I spied a favorite, once in a while treat. Panda Express, with its soft glowing sign beckoned me in for dinner, and I did not turn her down.

I know, I didn't see everything I could have, but this was a business trip, not for pleasure. One of these days I'll have to get up there (mayhaps with friends) and walk around a bit. One has to take in the atmosphere (and wind) on foot or there's little point in going.

Moving on, I had a little time after the trip to get more things in order at work and prepare for a few days off with the family. The parents flew in for my official graduation ceremony, and had a DVC room at Saratoga Springs booked for a long weekend. We took in the ceremony (all 3 hours) with good humor (potty dance 'cross the stage, with honors), and hung out with friends at a local Mexican joint. I got a few unexpected gifts (GPS for the car, gift card for a favorite restaurant, money for a new tv), and then my dad dropped a bombshell on me. He'd helped me out big time in March with a donation to replace my dead transmission (it keeled on me on the freeway no less). Now he tells me I no longer owe him. Wha? I'm speechless. Really...thanks Dad. I love you.

Hanging with my parents at WDW this time around was fun. We aimed for our preferred rides (Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise moreso), and my dad and I helped "plow the field" of guests to enable mom and her scooter a path to cruise. We took advantage of Extra Magic Hours a few times and that was time well spent. Got a few extra rides in with alot less pedestrian traffic. And it rained. Oh, it rained every afternoon. My dad will never let me forget that. "If life were fair it'd follow you on your upcoming trip," he said. Guess what? It might. *grumbles*

Indeed I have a trip coming up with a dear friend, and will post a recap afterwards. For now, the next post is more important...