Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A New Lease on Life

It's been many, many moons since I've last had the urge to post. Awe heck, I've wanted to post but I've been too busy. That sort of busy will be dying down soon. Part of it in two days when I finish the last of my three classes I'm taking at the same time. I can then consider myself done...finito, graduated and probably with honors or something spiffy of that sort. I am so glad this chapter in my life is over. I'm not sure I could handle diving into a Masters right away. Maybe in another decade if work takes me where I long to be.

I have two and a half weeks left in my current group, and then it's "So long, and thanks for all the cheese." I say that in the most humbled, honest (goofy) way I can. I've had interesting times in this department, and do appreciate what I've learned and who I've met here. I can safely say that some of my colleagues are going to become longtime friends, considering we've hung out together on occasion, and shared things with one another to help bond and ease the stress of the daily grind.

In a few weeks, I'll be I-Nox party of one in my department. Everyone else lives somewhere else, but hey, I've learned how to live and thrive in a virtual environment. This is going to be a pretty cool experience. Now I just have to learn the ins and outs of a few new systems and languages and I should be set (heh).

Backtracking just a bit to a few months ago, February's event went off without a hitch. I really enjoyed meeting everyone, from new Doombugs to long-timers. The process of getting everyone set and into the dinner went smoothly, and meeting Imagineers from Walt's day was a treat. Bob Gurr was so frickin cool. Such a nice guy with a wacky sense of humor, and he was at my table! I still pinch myself months later because I picked up a dvd of Jurassic Park (finally) from Best Buy and watched the movie, followed by "making of" clips. Bob was in it! I nearly fell out of my seat when they noted he consulted for the movie, as Spielberg was interested in his work on King Kong for Universal Studios. Go Bob!

To wrap up my thoughts on the few days and nights I had together with the Doombugs, I wish I could relive them again. It was so much fun and I haven't laughed that much in ages. Thank you so much. Here's to the next anniversary. And to SZ who sat at my table...it was an honor to meet you. I didn't realize your connection to the Haunted Mansion and Doombuggies until a cohort had told me. I really felt like I sat at a table of legends I tell yah. ;-)

...when hinges creak in doorless pants....