Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Marching Along...To a New Beat

The closing of the Adventurers Club and Pleasure Island has come and gone. I wish such a thing could never happen, but it did and I feel for now, the AC cast and crew understands how much their guests deeply appreciate them (and vice versa). I went with friends and family to the last couple of long shows (6pm to 2am), and despite the long hours of waiting in packed (think sardines) crowds waiting to get in to see a Library show, it was worth it. I got to see the Holiday show for the first time, since I always head out of state during Christmas. That was a real tear jerker, especially on Friday the 26th. Not only were many of us guests teary eyed, but the CMs were too. That made the final experiences in the club all the more memorable, and allowed reality to settle in en masse. The Club was closing, but we could all grieve together and express our appreciation and love for the place and know we weren't and aren't alone in feeling the way that we do.

The last night at the AC was bittersweet. My party got in line shortly after 4pm and joined the 150 or so folks in line ahead of us. We sat, stood, chatted about opening times for the night, said hello to CMs as they made their way in and stopped to say hi, and even sang the club creed when the group was let in a few minutes shy of 6pm. Only got to see two shows in person that evening, but they were beyond fantastic, and during our downtime we managed to hang in the Mezzanine (2nd floor of the club), sit and chat with one another and fellow Adventurers about the possibilities that could exist for the AC. CMs making their way down or upstairs (and out to the crowd still in line) said hello and stopped for pictures or brief conversations and giggles. All in all, it was a good night to express thanks, hang with with the crowd and take in the somber emotions that flooded over everyone as the Hooplah ended.

I took home a few swag items that I will treasure forever: A copy of the club creed, a photo of the cast from 2007, a couple of napkins from the Atlantis Bar & Grill (and matchbook), tons of photos and videos and two cups signed by a few favorites of the cast. That, and what I call the Adventurers Club creeping crud, otherwise known as a bad head cold and sore throat. I wouldn't have traded any of it for the world.

Now, to figure out what to do on nights where I might have previously said "I think I'll go to the AC." I'm sure there are other options now, but it'll never be the same.