Wednesday, July 02, 2008

An Adventurers Life is Best




I'd caught a cold towards the end of my long weekend with family, and still had it hanging on this past Friday when I got terrible news. Actually, the tv delivered it via a 10:30 news story. I was half passed out from cold meds when my hearing honed in on the words "Pleasure Island" and "closing", and once the story played I had a hard time succumbing to the effects of Tylenol Cold PM. I woke up the next morning, checking various Disney boards, local papers and their online stories and saw a mix of what I thought I'd see. Pleasure Island, due for closure on September 27th, all clubs included.

All clubs? Including the Adventurers Club?
I sniffled, not sure if that was the cold or sadness threatening to make itself visible. Sadly, it was true. Castmembers got word earlier that evening from the VP of Downtown Disney, and while some had been aware of rumors for years, they didn't think the end would come so soon, let alone for ALL of Pleasure Island's clubs. Apparently the miniscule population of Walt Disney World guests who had been surveyed on the area want more dining and shopping options. That miniscule response put big green dollar signs in the beady eyes of the local Executives (or so I prefer to envision). So what did they decide to do about that? Well, if you've been a party to the area for a few years you would have seen the changes already taking place. No more New Years Eve parties, or West End stage with music playing in the evening. No more turnstiles to discourage the local riff raff from just coming in to the dance clubs or walking around causing trouble. Mind you, the area is still crowded and is safe by my standards, but for some reason Disney sees this as not enough, focusing their gripe on not enough of the "family friendly" stuff. Part of me agrees that the area was poorly constructed, with family oriented fare on either side of PI, forcing families to walk around or more recently, through, the club area. The other part wishes they'd leave the Adventurers Club (and, to a lesser extent, the Comedy Warehouse) well enough alone.

Alot of folks agree with me. This petition, started on Friday may fall on deaf Disney ears, but it is a way of letting folks know your appreciation for the Adventurers Club.


Also, if you want to email or write to these higher ups that put the kibash on safe Disney nightlife for the kids-at-heart, the information is below. I'd try and note that you're a Disney fan on the whole (if you are), and note how sad you are to see such a unique experience going by the wayside. Trust me, if you can make this a positive note (with no suggestions, they turn those down) it will more than likely get seen by someone on high. They may do nothing in the short run to stop or change their plan of action, but they'll know what was done was at the expense and joy of many.

Mr. Robert Iger
Chief Executive Officer
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Walt Disney World Guest
Communications PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040


Reference Kevin Lansberry, "VP Downtown Disney Operations" for the Florida address, as he was the one who talked to the media about Disney's "bold, new vision" for the area. Bold, new vision indeed. A Hanes t-shirt store, a hot air balloon that will probably never fly and rumors of overpriced, underwhelming food and shopping. Sounds like Disneyland's DTD area. I went there in February, and was overwhelmingly unimpressed.

Have no idea what I mean when I say Adventurers Club, or Kungaloosh? Take a look at this site, one of a handful out there that showcase the soon-to-be ill fated club. It really is a diamond in the rough.


As for me, I'll head there every chance I get over the next three months. My family initiated me into the AC when I was a mere lass of 12, and now at 31 I see it as the local "Cheers", where many folks go in and get recognized by the performers or one another. Everyone coming in can just sit down with their friends and loved ones and enjoy the show and liveliness of one of the coolest clubs in the world. At least, for a little while longer.