Monday, August 04, 2008

Anger Wanes and Hunger Pains

Over the past month I've had a chance to reflect on the closing of Pleasure Island (and the much touted Adventurers Club). Trust me when I say I ranted and fumed about it quite a bit more off the 'Net than on it. But, after discussing this change with others and eventually returning to the Isle for a visit (family and friends in tow) my thoughts have softened a bit. Typically getting the chance to talk about something that bothers a person can lighten the load, so to speak. I think that and the last week or so, going to the AC with my dad (in town on business) have helped alot. I won't say I've given up hope that Disney will (in its right mind) do a 180 and save most, if not all of Pleasure Island, but I'm not going to let myself go to pieces over this. It is a very sad situation, likely without a Disney happy ending. We can sure try to get it turned around though.

Anywho...moving on, I had the chance to eat lower fat foodage with my dad while he was out (and I'm still doing just that). We've both been eating healthier for a while (him a month or so longer) and have both seen a "decrease in fatness". Not to say either of us are large, but slightly larger sized normal us-es that could be healtier. Heh...us-es. Sounds like Bill and Ted. Back on topic though, I thought it was interesting that once I reduced my fat intake, my body started to crave fatty foods. I don't eat much fat to begin with, but despite surprise over my body's reaction I can understand the yearnings it attempted with stomach churning gurgles and propoganda for my brain (hint - Fat is bad for you? Lies, I tell you, lies!). Kinda like caffeine or sugar withdrawal. I responded with a firm "heck no!", and my body hasn't given me grief since. Well, alright, it's asked for a few extra cat naps in retaliation, but I can live with that.

To keep in line with a lower fat diet, daddio and I had to aim for healthier food, and here in Orlando that is sometimes hard to come by. But we managed by heading to specific restaurants and cutting out the fried stuff or anything high in fat grams. I tell yah, if you stick to grilled fish, seafood or chicken with plenty of veggies for lunch and/or dinner it does wonders in terms of filling you up and keeping you energized. And for dessert, aim for fruit or conconctions of the low fat variety (strawberry shortcake, popsicles, yogurt). I'm looking forward to paring myself down over the next few months and seeing how my own energy levels change. That and less sweating. Though I think everyone is doing that down here. It's still too darned hot!