Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Accepting finite disappointment, never losing infinite hope

A few weeks passed since the big Presidential election of 08, and alas, my nominee did not win. I didn't vote for him because he was white or a veteran, but because he believes in alot of the same things I do as a Republican (with a few Dem/Libertarian leanings). In any case, I support Obama as he takes on the most challenging of roles, and honest to God I hope he does well. If not, who knows what will happen.

I think as a registered voter my future will consist of 1) getting my unregistered friends registered in their respective counties (not doing so makes it harder to bitch about elections) and 2) educate voters across all party lines about the value of learning about the candidates and what they stand for. I did wonder who voted for what reasons this time around, considering many of the voters I heard on the radio had little knowledge of their candidate's platform, let alone a basic understanding of what their party stands for. That, my friends is scary. And that is the future of American voters.

Aside from that, I can say Halloween went off without a hitch and was alot of fun. I spent many a night over the course of four weeks sewing and embroidering a blouse for my costume (Marion Ravenwood in the streets of Cairo from Raiders). It turned out good, though I see where my next try (for the blouse) will have some positive differences. The costume was a blast to wear, and I got alot of compliments and quite a few "Hey, Marion!" responses. And it was nice to have an evening post-Halloween right on property at a WDW resort (Thanks dtr!). It made a late night at the Magic Kingdom easier to do, considering I'd be spending it in 3 inch espadrilles.

Fast forward a few weeks, and I'm working on yet another costume. Scratch that...Pearson Renaissance worked on it for me. I just have to hem it a little. But in a few more weeks I'll be a colonial American/pirate in a reenactment encampment. I just hope my cell phone doesn't go off in the middle of a demonstraton. *grins*

I'm not too excited for Christmas yet, but I'm sure it'll build once Thanksgiving weekend is over. BUT...I did manage to coax out the decorations a little early (I know...what's wrong with me?!). This year is a combination of Christmas and Halloween (not Nightmare Before Xmas, but regular All Hallows Eve). Might as well blend the two to make the former a little more festive.

To all who celebrate it...have a safe and happy Turkey Day. (gobble gobble)