Tuesday, August 01, 2006

If you put our heads together, it would make a hollow sound

I saw two movies this past weekend, and enjoyed them both immensely. First off, on Friday evening I made what feels like a weekly trek over to my favorite theatre to catch Woody Allen's latest flick, Scoop. I'd missed his last one, and a friend of mine reminded me that this was coming up (more like she reminded me Hugh Jackman's in it - meh, I prefer him with retractable claws). Anyhow, I had myself a good meal at a local restaurant (best clam chowder in town), headed over to see the movie, and when I attempted to pick up my preordered ticket, only my receipt stub came out. So I got a ticket window guy to ok it, headed in, and the ticket taker let me through but handed me what she thought was my ticket (perhaps it got stuck?). Alas, it was Miami Vice, and after I made a look of absolute disgust, we both giggled and I made my way to the theatre.

Scoop is a pretty good movie. It's cute, a little formulaic (you figure what's going to happen does), but its humor along the way keeps the storyline pleasantly afloat (with the Grim Reaper, no less). Woody is as he was in some of his earlier roles, going off on oddball tangents in his own dialogue in an effort to explain himself. He's weird, but in a kind of way that makes me think of my grandpas or uncles, capable of occasional incoherent, but humorous thoughts (often recalled out loud).

And Hugh was pretty good too. As was Scarlett, and the costars I recognized whose names I can't recall right this second.

Did I mention Hugh was shirtless a few times? Once in swim trunks.

I'd give the movie 4 1/2 out of 5 tarot cards (see the movie and you'll get that).

Onto the revisiting of Clerks II. Ryan called me the night I saw Scoop, asking if I wanted to head to a cheaper show of Kevin's Smith's latest the next morning. So, I said yes, keeping in mind I had an appointment with my hair stylist less than an hour after the movie finished (and yes, I made it in time). It was nice to see this movie again, and catch what I'd missed. The first time around, I didn't realize the Silence of the Lambs reference until it was mentioned to me (note to Kevin - that creeped me out, yet I couldn't look away). I'd missed naked Jay and the Lord of the Rings vs Star Wars argument (resulting in vomit - lovely) too. I would have voted for Star Wars, had I been sitting at Mooby's sucking down a shake and eating a burger at that moment, but Randal is such a putz! I wanted to give that guy a swirly in a dirty toilet for most of the movie. (lol)

My favorite part - the dance sequence (second note to Kevin - if you ever do one of those again, I'd love to audition). That was hilarious, cliched, and what can I say, some guys look good in pig tails. Clerks II (the second go around) gets 5 out of 5 stars from me.

On another note - Yeah, I am giving myself a very hard time as of late. Even my friends have noticed that, in regards to several situations I'm facing (one, not so much - yet). I swear to cut myself some slack, and just handle these when the time comes. This weekend, I hope to treat myself to at least one thing (barring tropical storm Chris) - a baseball game with buddies. I haven't done that since 2004, and even though I'm not a big sports fan, I enjoy the spirit and excitement of it all.

Enough with the talk...must get back to my studies.