Friday, July 14, 2006

Not Filling a Bucket, But Lighting a Fire

..that's what poet William Yeats wrote about Education. I'd agree with his take on mastering one's knowledge, formally (in schools) or informally (in life).

I'd finished a course in Humanities (one of my last General Ed courses to take, and then on to my major, which may or may not involve computer forensics). I enjoyed the course; it took us on a whirlwind reading tour covering the birth, rise and spread of technologies across the world. From the simplest tools that man used thousands of years ago to hunt food and draw, to the newest gadgets and robotics used today for home, work and play, our class discussions truly ran the gammut.

The hard part was jumping into a team oriented course, where we not only had our own required assignments to complete, but an additional report to do in assigned groups of 4 to 6 folks. I enjoyed working with most of my team, but it had its challenges, one being that I didn't take on the responsibility of team lead, which I should have. The majority of my 6 person team was on the ball, but it's always one or two folks who choose to coast (and not assist) until the last minute that are the downfall of everyone else. Brought my grade from a 99% down to a 90%. Oh no, I won't let THAT happen again.

Thankfully, my current course (covering programming with Visual Basic) is individual, though we can help each other if needed (now that's the kind of teamwork I like). It's exciting, and nervewracking at the same time. I just hope I can put this new knowledge to good use.

Enough with the boring stuff for the night. My crites are huddling around me whilest I type (Frankie says hi), and I'm in the mood for a movie or tv (on dvd) episode that'll keep my spirits high for the remainder of the weekend. Won't be too hard to keep in a sunshine sort of mood though. Tomorrow night, it's friends, food, festivities, and a theatre we plum bought out so's we could watch The Phantom of the Opera. Woohoo!