Monday, May 15, 2006

So Dark the Con of Man

My goodness, it is beautiful outside. Temps in the mid 80's, a fair breeze filtering out the sticky humidity. And I'm stuck inside. Ah, the heck with it.

*heads outside to the courtyard for 5 minutes*

It's funny when I head outside, the first thing that pops into my mind is "Arghh! Sunshine!" (hisses...hears and feels my skin start to snap, crackle and pop)

I'm kidding...jes forgot my sunglasses.

---------------->^o-^<----------------------------

Only a few days 'til The DiVinci Code hits theatres (woo!). I finished the book a few weeks back. I've been told the companion book to this one (Angels and Demons) is just as good. I picked that up a few days ago, and it's hard to put down.

My take on the whole deal is – sure it might be a load of codswollop, but the tale (book and myth) is interesting. Regardless of whether or not the information is true, I thought the concept of there being a key figure missing in Christian scripture (especially female and a bloodline to boot) a unique idea to ponder. After all, none of us know how much of any religious writing has been taken out or added in over the years. Many just accept what they’re given as the truth (on faith, as it were).

** On a side note, I made my father laugh when he called back on Easter weekend to quiz me on none other than my knowledge of Christian history. Being a non-practicing person in my faith, there were a few seconds of dead silence coupled with a moment of panic. Thankfully, he didn't ask me to quote any versus (then I'd be screwed). But, I managed to note a few Apostles for one question, knew there was 12, but threw in a quip over Chris Rock never getting to be number thirteen "cuz the bible left the brothas out". I'm horrible. *grins*

Anywho, back to my excitement over the movie. I can't wait to see the historical landmarks, many of which I've never visited, but would like to some day (especially the Louvre). BUT, one key site that I have visited will play a big role in the story. The Rosslyn Chapel (I probably mentioned it before) – It's hard to describe how I felt when I walked into it. It's not a huge building, but it is bigger than a lot of places of worship I've visited. The day I went to see it, it was FREEZING cold (the kind of cold that can put someone's eyes out, if you catch my drift), and the building was being worked (I could only call their procedure "beautifying"). There was no heat within it. There were electrical cords strewn about on the floor for the few lights that were on (most of the light came from outside via way of windows).

Most of what I was thinking focused on the size of the building when I stood inside. (I didn't want to inhale in here in an effort to take in the history - I would have ended up growing icicles out of my nostrils.) Decent sized, but crowded, with the pews and a pulpit in the middle and a praying area up front, and intricately carved columns going along the perimeter (well, one was - the unfortunate show off), the archways and ceiling covered with unusual sculptures and worn wall art depicting Christian and pre-Christian symbols. Meh..I could go on about this place for hours, it was so great just to walk into something that had a history. It was musty, and cold and dank, and I loved every minute of it. Well, not the cold part, but I survived.