Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Oh, My Stars and Garters

To recap (it's been a few weeks), I caught a few movies, went to a cool event/dinner that anyone else can get into too, and am looking forward to another good movie coming right up.

First things first - the movies. X-Men: The Last Stand was good, but it wasn't as good of a sequel as its predecessor. I would chalk that up to the difference in directors (and cinematographer too), as that typically changes my perception of the movie. There were a few surprises in the movie that caused mixed reactions for me (a couple of characters literally 'taken out', and a clip after the credits). The extra clip leaves the series open for another sequel. I'd be up for round four, especially if Wolverine and Beast are back. And Gambit needs to show up (I think it'd be about time). *grins*

Kelsey Grammer = absolutely PERFECT for the role of Hank McCoy.

The next movie I had the pleasure of seeing was Cars. I didn't think I'd like it. I honestly am not that into racing (unless it's playing Ridge Racer or a semi-virtual video game at Disney Quest), but this was so well done, and had such a well written storyline that I found it well worth the 9 bucks I dished out to join friends in the fun. I was very impressed with the computer animation (the driving through nature scenes are gorgeous), and had so many good laughs at the expense of the jokes peppered throughout the movie (Mater - He did what in his cup?). A few folks to look (listen?) for in the movie - Jeremy Piven, and the Car Talk guys from NPR (I can't believe I recognized the latter...I am such an old fart).

With both movies, there's no doubt that I'll be getting them on dvd. X-Men TLS gets 3 stars from me, while Cars gets 4.

The next movie I'll be catching is Nacho Libre. Sometimes these comic types creep or gross me out (i.e. Adam Sandler and Ben Stiller), but for some reason, Jack Black has managed to tread on over to my good side and capture my attention. This film looks hilarious, especially the parts with the food (what IS that stuff?).

This past weekend, I ventured into the Polynesian for a dinner and luau. Twas pretty cool. All you can stand food (several courses of it - the dessert was very good), a Disneyfied Hawaiian story with dancing, and more traditional dancing from each of the islands at the end (including fire dances - I'll post my clip when I can).

Lastly - the uber spooky. I could have sworn my hire date was moved to June 5th after bridging my service, but ohh no. In a staff meeting today, my director brought up that I hit my 6th year service date, on 6/6/06. *shudders*

That's just not right.