Friday, July 21, 2006

What's My Line?

It's late (after midnight).

Okay, so it's late...for me. And I don't know if I'll be getting any sleep tonight. I have alot of things to think about as of late. My coworker finally got his transfer officially announced. Our manager wants to hold on to him until September-ish. I'm thrilled that the powers that be were finally able to decide on what he was vying for. He's worked hard to get where he is (heck, he just got a Masters degree), and deserves the opportunity to move up and about in the company.

Where does that leave my mini-dept, yet again? Well, come September(-ish), if we don't fill the vacant spots, we'll once again be up to our eyeballs in work, just my boss and I.

Where do I fit in? Well, for a few weeks this development was unraveling in secret (as it should in matters of staffing - even I kept silent). I focused my thoughts on what sort of job stability I need for my immediate future, keeping in mind that I need to keep a job, need to finish my degree, yet still keep an arm outstretched towards my career goals. I began strategizing a plan to ask for what I know I deserve (after all this time). Yeah, I plan to ask for a promotion into one of my cohort's positions, and I have the information to back it up (knowledge, praise, awards, serving as a backup, having the frigging experience to begin with, and alot more).

**As a caviat, I think this is the first time I've ever been literally terrified about fighting for a job. I'd hoped to have covered my request this week in a meeting, but because we're now alot busier, that time had to be rescheduled - to Tuesday. Butterflies in the stomach much?

Sure, my manager could say no. I honest to God pray that she says yes. I could kick back and ponder awhile after getting the response I don't want, but what then? Yeah, if it doesn't work, I like any other person experienced in this field has a number of options. I have skills, education and tenure that are well suited for other parts of the company, and other companies too. I just hope she realizes that...I really, really want to stay and help out. It's just what I do. I'm...old reliable. Sometimes I hate that. Lately, as recent as this evening, I've learned to utterly despise that trait. When you read below the very brief Clerks 2 bit, you'll understand.

And speaking of Clerks 2, it was good. So good, I'm seeing it again to catch the parts I missed.

=====================>^~~^<=======================

Heh. Originally on this post, I'd added a little bit here about shock...and mostly shock. Well, I think now I can safely say I'm feeling a little better. But I do have a comment for someone (I know you're reading this).

- I hope for your sake that you're doing alright.
You might not hold any value in me caring, but yeah, I do.