Friday, July 12, 2013

The Storm before the Calm

It's funny how my excitement for a vacation at SDCC peaks in the days just before it, and when I finally get there I relax and enjoy whatever happens (given that some of my plans come to fruition, though if they don't that's okay).  I started packing two nights ago.  Should've been sooner than that, considering work and other things I have to do.  But alas, I started placing things together in Big Blue (a suitcase...myeah) and realized I wanted to haul along a blowup mattress.  Just a twin size and not very heavy, but folding it up to take up less space in a second bag is going to be hilarious.  I think once you've blown these suckers up once, you're never going to get them completely emptied of air and folded back down.

Meh, I'm grousing over this because I want a bed of my own.  When you run around SDCC and downtown San Diego all day, you pretty much want a bed to yourself to pass out on and cover with you arms and legs stretched this way and that.  And this bed...my brother hated it when he tried it out here once.  Me...I think it's like sleeping on a cloud. :)

I mentioned in my last post I'd be aiming for Hall H's overnight line one night, but that won't be the case this year.  Oh no, I had to make things tougher for us.  We'll be aiming for the Ballroom 20 line and sleeping on concrete.  Well, yoga mats*, but they won't provide much comfort.  But I'm resolved to catch the Once Upon a Time panel this year and get good seats.  And, I hope to catch the Marvel panels too.  That'll only happen if timing is right.

* and bivy sacks (a sleeping bag made out of the same material used for emergency blankets), a collapsible pillow and a blanket.  We'll be sleeping better this year.

That's one thing new SDCC attendees MUST keep in mind.  You won't get to do everything you want to do.  Enjoy the experience, and if you get to do a few things from your list, consider that mission accomplished.